Saturday 4 January 2014

Regular Hein!


“Sir Laptop?” Security personnel at the entrance of Infosys ask each and every employee every day when they enter or leave the office. It is their one of the duties to check the bags of all the employees for many security and legal reasons. “Ha hein! Regular hein!” is the most common response they get and almost every time, he/she does not check the bag and let one go. I rarely remember my bag has been thoroughly checked in last few months. I always wonder, what is the magic in these 2 words?

These 2 words may not convey anything but the manner and tone of the communication must be telling something completely different to these security personnel.  When I thought over it, I felt there is a very deep social, economic, cultural bias/divide in it. When I say these two words to them, am I subtly saying,

1.       I am a Manager in this company. Do you think that I do not follow the rules or do you think that I am a thief?

2.       I am more learned person than you. My job is more respectful than yours. How dare you ask me any question?

3.       I earn more than you. How can a person, who earns less than me, subjects me to security checks?

4.       My job is more intellectual than yours or I am senior employee of the company. Therefore, I deserve a special treatment.

Deep routed caste system in our society can be one of the reasons for such behavior. Many of us still consciously or subconsciously develop the hierarchy/gradation of different professions and decide their values, esteem, grade, respect etc. Since we intentionally or unintentionally associate the nature of the work (profession) with a particular caste, strong notions about the type of work and who should do it are still prevalent in the society. Higher educational qualification, professional success and financial prosperity of an individual adds ego and arrogance into this strong rooted believes. This highly contagious and explosive mixture can be witnessed widespread in public life these days. We see many people expect special treatment based on their social, economic, educational status in public life. See how special treatment celebrities, politician, bureaucrats and rich people expect in public life. Equality and respect for work (Shram Pratishtha) should increase in a democratic nation. But both these values are falling never before.

One of my colleagues, who is in US, wants to returned to India. When I asked him about the reasons, he said that his wife is not adjusting in US. On further persuasion, he told me that his wife has to do all the daily chores on her own. She does not have the comfort of maids which she has in India. We do not need rocket science that he may not be even helping her in daily chore because of our strong believes on what wife has to do and what husband has to do in the family.
If India has to emerge as a strong and prosperous nation, we must learn to respect other’s work, allow and encourage others to perform their duties, respect other’s rights, respect other’s time! Unless this social transformation happens, our dream of Strong and Prosperous India will be a distinct dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment